Hi there Sylvia,

We have quite a variation on how our descriptions have been done. For some
our more famous and long-standing favourite works we have gone with using
the interpretive labels you would find in the gallery space. However when
we expanded our descriptions to cover all our oils for our participation
in the PCF/BBC "Your Paintings" project we took a more what you see visual
description with some slight interpretation where it was known. The PCF
did produce some description guidelines to help participating collections,
they would only apply to fine art though.

I would be very interested in other organisation's replies to this.

John

John Peel | Collection Information Officer & Gallery Beekeeper|
Manchester Art Gallery | Mosley Street | M2 3JL |
www.manchestergalleries.org
Tel  +44(0)161 235 8892 | Internal 805 8892 | Fax  +44(0)161 235 7144 |
Text  +44(0)161 235 8893
Follow us on Twitter | Visit Manchester Galleries' Flickr Photostream
The First Cut - Friday 5 October 2012 - Sunday 27 January 2013
In Translation: Women, Migration and Britishness - Saturday 25 February
2012 - Saturday 23 February 2013
Art in Hard Times: The Walk to Dover by Spartacus Chetwynd and Victorian
Paintings of Modern Life - Saturday 14 July 2012 - Sunday 14 April 2013
Dreams Without Frontiers - Friday 29 June 2012 - Wednesday 1 May 2013
Everything’s Inevitable: Works from the collection of Manchester Art
Gallery selected by Des Hughes - Tuesday 1 May 2012 - Sunday 5 May 2013
Focal Points: Art and Photography - Thursday 17 May 2012 - Sunday 2 June
2013
NOW OPEN TILL 9PM EVERY THURSDAY

Sylvia Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Museums Computer Group <[log in to unmask]>
08/11/2012 16:17
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Standardising descriptions

I wonder if anyone would mind offering some advice about standardising
object descriptions...

I am currently reviewing the way that information is entered into the
'Description' field on Ablib, and was wondering whether anyone uses/knows
of set standards that can be applied? Do people tend to start with a broad
description and then hone in on the finer detail? Is there a standard way
to order the information entered E.g. Form, colour, decoration, etc. ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure people do things in
different ways, and perhaps there is no set formula for this, but it would
be nice to compare approaches.

With thanks,

Sylvia Cox

Collections Management Fellow
Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts
University of East Anglia
Norwich Research Park
Norwich
NR4 7TJ
       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. The full text of the Council's email disclaimer is available at http://www.manchester.gov.uk/emaildisclaimer.
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept  for the presence of computer viruses.
Please contact [log in to unmask] with any queries.

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg