Hi,

It sounds like you're looking for something different to/a bit more challenging than superhero comics, is that right?

Despite the title, 'Understanding Comics' by Scott McCloud is a rewarding read which exhaustively examines how words and pictures can work together. See also '99 Ways to Tell a Story' by Matt Madden and also the classic 'Graphic Stortytelling & Visual Narrative' by Will Eisner.

An interesting non-fiction aside (that's very revealing about the interplay of words and pictures) is 'Open Here: The Art of Instructional Design' by Mijksenaar and Westendorp

As to actual poetry and fiction your reader might like to try...

Howl - Allen Ginsberg ('Animated' by Eric Drooker)
The Amazing Remarkable Monsieur Leotard - Eddie Campbell and Dan Best
Gemma Bovery - Posy Simmonds
The Rime of the Modern Mariner - Nick Hayes
Richard Stark's 'The Hunter' - Darwyn Cooke
Asterios Polyp - David Mazzuccheli

All very interesting and rewarding.

Online, here are a couple of guides to more literary graphic novel/sequential art titles and artists
http://wordswithoutborders.org/graphic-lit/

http://www.grovel.org.uk/category/genre/literary/

An interesting illustration blog
http://blog.drawn.ca/

Of course, your reader might be looking for something quite different and more esoteric. If you can give me more detail I may be able to suggest something more relevant. Or feel free to pass my email address along to your reader.

Cheers,

Rob

Robert Boswell
Librarian