Comment: Though timely and welcome, the Durham mandate is only a 2
(out of 12) for mandate strength (see end of message).

I urge Durham to upgrade it to ID/OA (immediate-deposit,optional-access)
which is a 12. It's almost the same thing, but it makes a world of a difference
for compliance:

Gargouri Y, Lariviere V, Gingras Y, Brody T, Carr L & Harnad S (2012)
Testing the Finch Hypothesis on Green OA Mandate Ineffectiveness

On 2012-11-01, at 11:41 AM, Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ROARMAP Green OA Mandate #162: http://roarmap.eprints.org/717/
> World's 162nd institutional Mandate, UK's 24th
>
> Durham University Senate and the Research Committee have agreed
> the Durham University Open Access Statement. The Statement demonstrates
> this University's commitment to share the findings of its world-class research
> as widely as possible. Now, where copyright agreements permit, all research
> outputs published in peer-reviewed journals since 1 January 2008 must be
> made freely available in DRO. Authors are also strongly encouraged to
> deposit other types of research outputs (including book chapters, reports
> and grey literature) in DRO and make them freely available for consultation.
> (http://dro.dur.ac.uk/du_oa_statement.pdf)
>
> Institutional Mandates (162)	Proposed Institutional Mandates (4)
> Sub-Institutional Mandates (35)	Proposed Sub-Institutional Mandates (3)
> Multi-Institutional Mandates (4)	Proposed Multi-Institutional Mandates (6)
> Funder Mandates (53)	Proposed Funder Mandates (10)
> Thesis Mandates (97)

Mandate strength:

12   immediate deposit required + linked to performance evaluation (Liege) (no waiver option)
9   immediate deposit required (no waiver option)
6     6-month delay allowed (no waiver option)
3    12-month delay allowed (no waiver option)
3    rights-retention with waiver option
2    deposit if/when publisher says it's ok
1      no requirement: just request, recommendation or encouragement (policies in ROARMAP that are not classified as mandates)