Ben,

Taking your last point, we have to provide ‘information’ but as there are no agreed standards for handing ‘data’ back, we could quite easily give it to you as reams of dead trees but offer you the option of paying a bit to cover our costs to supply you with digital data.

All the best,

Paul - similarly playing devil’ advocate ;-)

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ben Wallace
Sent: 14 November 2012 10:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: HER Charges: North Somerset

Jenny,

Lots of great things for us to discuss at our next HER Forum meeting. Thanks for those comments.

My own view is the following:

£100 seems a bit steep but recently using a cost recovery formula for an HER search here at Warwickshire it came to £75 so not far off (we currently charge £50). I guess the question would be can this cost be justified and proven?

Our costs include a whole host of things not just staff salaries. You also have to remember that a member of staff's hourly rate does not equal their salary divided by 52 weeks divided by 40 hours. I use an approved formula based on 45 productive weeks a year and 30 productive hours a week, ah the wonders of local government!

Second point, no HERs are perfect that's because we are generally understaffed and under resourced and because like archaeology itself it is an infinite puzzle with half the pieces missing and no guiding picture!

Why do we choose to charge some and not others? Well for ourselves part of our service is funded by the County Council (lucky us!), it is our discretion that this is to provide a free service to members of the public and researchers who have no commercial gain. We could charge them (and may in the future) but at the moment we choose not to.

Can commercial contractors charge the HER to accept information when it is part of a planning requirement that said information is deposited with the HER. This would be like charging a museum to deposit an archive with them. An interesting idea, I would like to see how that could be justified? (obviously I appreciate you are playing devil's advocate here)

Ben

Ben Wallace

(Historic Environment Record Manager)

BA (EU) Hons, MA, MIfA

Warwickshire Historic Environment Record

Archaeological Information and Advice (AIA)

Archives and Historic Environment,

Heritage and Culture Warwickshire,

Localities and Community Safety,

Communities

Warwickshire County Council

Phone: 01926 412734

Mailing Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities, Warwickshire County Council, PO Box 43, Shire Hall, Warwick CV34 4SX

Physical Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities, Warwickshire County Council, Barrack Street, Warwick CV34 4TH

e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Web: http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/her

         http://timetrail.warwickshire.gov.uk