Jenny indeed raises some excellent points.

Not wishing to put cat amongst pigeons (again) but it would still be really helpful if the whole licensing/charging/supply issue could be looked at across the board. It’s still the case that charges are highly variable, from nothing to a day rate that equates to best part of £1000/day. Some include explicit licenses to use data, some homebrew licenses and some (inappropriate) OS licenses which preclude certain (essential) use scenarios. Some don’t bother with licensing at all. VAT is variably applicable depending on who provided what advice. Not to mention data quality; some is good to go, some requires considerable man handling to make something of it. Turnaround is similarly variable, some HERs doing it on the spot and others taking eons to supply which as Jenny points out can be problematic when we have tight deadlines. Some contractors also apparently bypass charges by visiting and using the public access facilities.

All this makes it complicated to cost for and undertake work as obtaining HER data is so variable depending on where the job is. Clients are often confused when one job costs much less/more than another as a result of this situation.

I understand the idea of exempting HER data from OS licensing through the formal OS exemption procedure is actively being looked at and I would wholeheartedly support this; one less complexity to deal with. Some HERs have moved on this already which is fantastic. Of course, this would not preclude some charge for use of the data if that is seen as best option but let’s have some parity here please.

I’ve copied my previous post on this topic below for information and hopefully some discussion as to how best to move forward on this.

As I write previously:

Worms indeed...

Not wishing to throw in more worms, and any names below have been changed to protect the innocent, but...

It would be great if a national policy could be implemented. Currently there is enormous variation in what HER/SMRs charge, for what and also what they can supply. Some do not charge, some charge nominal fees to cover costs, some charge hundreds of pounds (!), some charge additional fees on top for licenses to use the data supplied.

At the same time, the nature of the information supplied is incredibly variable. This ranges from well structured digital data (GIS, tabular, XML) requiring minimal handling to some unstructured information in a pdf or word document, possibly even a jpg, requiring considerable manual handling.

Timescales for supplying information also vary considerably, up to many weeks in some cases which for rapid turnaround projects is problematic.

So, as an end user, we have to factor in the up front costs levied by each HER/SMR for conducting a query (= highly variable), any additional costs (eg for licensing; again variable) plus time taken this end to turn the information provided into something useable for assessment/analysis/reporting ( = highly variable, dependent on what is supplied).

A national Service Level Agreement (SLA) type approach could provide a level playing field against which contractors could operate. It could define:

* What data can/should be provided and in what format (GIS + MidasXML would seem logical, leveraging existing standards)

* Timescales in which a response can be expected including options for fast track searches

* Costs and associated licensing, VAT-ability, etc

Now, really not wishing to put cat amongst pigeons but...

It has also been noted here that the HER/SMRs who are less capable of providing structured data are also often those who take longer and charge more... Perhaps indicative of how the HER/SMR operates, with those operating more functional systems being able to respond quicker with more useable output for end users and hence lower costs due to it taking less time to deal with enquiries...?

I would welcome the thoughts of the forum on the idea of some nationally agreed standards.

Kind regards,

Paul.