From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of EDWARDS, Robert (Environment)
Sent: 15 November 2012 10:52
To: Winfield, Hugh
Subject: Re: HER Charges

Hi all,

I thought I might add my tuppence to the debate. As I’m sure the majority of us are aware, in the present financial and political climate local authorities are radically re-evaluating how services are delivered and funded. Authorities are seriously questioning the fundamentals of service delivery:

a)      Should services be subsidised by those who do not use them?

b)      Where possible services will be cost neutral; service users should expect to pay.

c)       Who can deliver the service most (cost) effectively?

d)      Do we have to provide the service?

Over the next few years I think we will see a much more diverse range of organisations providing HE services, including the private sector. And, although it will be the role of these organisations to provide HE information and advice, it will not be seen as the Local Authority’s business rate or council tax payer’s responsibility to fund that service (unless they are a service user). Unfortunately, I suspect that charging will become more prevalent and charges higher. For example, you might like to take a look at some of the charges now levied for pre-application planning advice for comparison:

https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/environment_and_planning/planning/planning_application_advice/pre-application_advice.aspx

£40 p/hr is beginning to look a bargain ;)

Best wishes

Rob

Rob Edwards
Historic Environment Records Officer
Cheshire Archaeology Planning Advisory Service

Tel: 01244 973667

Email: [log in to unmask]

Location: The Forum, Chester, Cheshire, CH1 2HS.

Disclaimer:

If you are not the intended recipient of this email (and any attachment), please inform the sender by return email and destroy all copies. Unauthorised access, use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.
The views expressed by the author do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of Cheshire West and Chester Borough Council. The Council cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and amended. You should perform your own virus checks.
Cheshire West and Chester Borough Council may monitor emails and as a public sector organisation; the Council may disclose this email (or any response to it) under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Contracts cannot be concluded with the Council nor service effected by email, unless otherwise expressly agreed. The contents of this e-mail may be subject to privilege.

P Reduce your environmental footprint, please do not print this email unless you really need to.

This electronic message contains information from North East Lincolnshire Council which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please telephone or email the number(s) or address above immediately. Activity and use of the North East Lincolnshire email system is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Scanned by Anti Virus Software