Hugh said:

“For what it's worth, I do think that there should be a nationally set charge with a choice of whether to charge or not, both to reduce pressure on staff to justify their charging levels and to give a more coordinated appearance to the profession.” – hear hear!!

And to pick up Jenny and Vince’s points on advice, we very often just receive data, no associated advice. Which is fine, as we can always ask specific local questions that arise through our work with the data using our own expertise, going back to the HERs as needed. But this would not be the norm so being charged for this seems out of the usual scope of the service. Quite happy to pay something towards cost of maintaining data, that goes without saying and I would strongly support anything that reinforces the position of HERs as the definitive heritage record with associated service provisions, but my argument is that the current state of play for commercial access is too complicated and unpredictable; for example, even with the previous statements/clarifications on VAT this is still variably applied, and that should be an easy standardisation to make.

Even if HER data is exempted from OS licensing (which I would argue should be done forthwith) to make licensing more straightforward, the data produced by the HER could still presumably be covered by a charge for an HER license to use said data, it being OS derived but OS license free, yet still covered by HER copyright / database rights as originators of the data. This would be far easier to standardise than time. This figure could be based on full economic costings of maintenance or whatever but ought to be widely applicable and justifiable.  Could even (in theory) be used as a lever to access funds to improve the record and associated systems through cost benefit analysis of efficiency (ie by investing a bit, the parent organisation would actually save money in the longer term).

I think charging for time spent is more problematic as some HERs have excellent IT resources and are very efficient whereas others are much less able, for a whole range of reasons, many of which beyond their control. So it may take one HER considerably longer to supply than others, largely because their system and procedures are more convoluted. I have also noticed an inverse correlation between taking ages to supply and quality of data, with HERs who have more efficient systems and more resources to hand apparently better able to manage and improve the quality of their data more effectively too.

Just some thoughts…

Paul.