Potential submissions requested by *30 November* for proposed GSL
Special Publication on *“Volcanism and Tectonism Across the Solar System”*

During the past three EGU conferences we have had a significant number
of presentations in our sessions. To compile our knowledge in those two
fields of terrestrial and extraterrestrial research we wish to propose a
GSL Special Publication. To help capture our knowledge during our past
and upcoming EGU sessions, we would like to finalise the proposal in
early December. To do so, we need _a list of tentative titles and
authors of potential contributions by _*_Monday, 17 December_**, 4pm
GMT*. Your indication of interest should be sent to Thomas Platz
([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

*Session contributions during past EGU conferences are not a requirement
for stating your interest of submitting a manuscript to this proposed
special volume.*Preliminary titles and author lists are for the sole
purpose of planning and proposing this volume. Please note that
submitting tentative titles and author lists is not an obligation to
submit a manuscript if our proposal gets accepted.

Manuscript submissions are planned to start on Monday, 4 March
terminating on Friday, 17 May. Finalisation and publication is scheduled
for autumn 2013. All manuscripts will be subject to a standard review
procedure.

Recent advances in the GSL publishing process – from electronic
submission and review process to online first publication – are
highlighted below.

The proposed special publication aims to compile all facets of
volcanism, tectonism, faulting, and associated interactions observed
across the solar system _including Earth_. By merging Earth and
planetary sciences, the interpretations of extraterrestrial landforms
and their formational processes will be (re)viewed in the light of our
current understanding of related processes on Earth.

Best regards,

Matteo Massironi,

Paul Byrne,

Harald Hiesinger &

Thomas Platz

*Why should you publish in a GSL special publication?*(from Angharad
Hills, Commissioning Editor, The Geological Society Publishing House)

§The volumes in this series are published online in the Lyell Collection
(http://www.lyellcollection.org) and as hardback books. This series is
highly regarded internationally for the quality of science and
production. They are also widely read: there were more than two million
accesses of the online abstracts last year, and about 320,000 downloads
of full papers. The Society takes part in a scheme to provide free
access to researchers in developing countries. Sales of the hardback
books continue to be healthy.

§We can publish a first batch of papers in the Online First section of
the Lyell Collection without having to wait for the whole book to
complete and other papers will then be added as they are accepted. This
will substantially reduce the publication delays previously associated
with this type of collection (http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/onlinefirst).

§Our SPs are included in the ISI Web of Science, in their new Book
Citation Index, and also in Scopus, which is used for UK and other
research assessment data provision. Both Indexes allow authors to obtain
citation figures for their paper and contribute towards their h-index.
It is also very easy to find them in Google Scholar.

§We offer 3 free colour figures in the print version for each paper. Any
number of figures can be in colour for free in the online version.

§We have an online submission and review system for handling the papers,
which allows us to offer more administrative help with progress chasing
and such like, making the editors’ task less onerous.

--
Dr Thomas Platz
Freie Universität Berlin

ph:  +49 30 838 70822