Interesting stuff from my colleagues in Leicester. Free pdf available. May help inform your planning for older adult activities...

Happy Monday!

Essex

From: David Shaw
Sent: 19 November 2012 09:20
To: HQ; Remote Staff
Subject: New publication: Older People's Learning in 2012: A Survey

[OlderPeoplesLearningIn2012_full_cover-sml.jpg]Older People's Learning in 2012: A Survey

Stephen McNair, Senior Research Fellow, NIACE

November 2012

Download the full report PDF: http://shop.niace.org.uk/older-peoples-learning-2012.html (Short: http://bit.ly/QStKgM)
Download the summary report PDF: http://shop.niace.org.uk/older-peoples-learning-2012-summary.html (Short: http://bit.ly/U7cJwA)
NIACE news story: http://www.niace.org.uk/news/older-peoples-learning-is-changing-new-survey-from-niace?src=fp1st

Being launched today at the conference 'One step up in later life: Learning for active ageing and intergenerational solidarity', organised in Brussels by the European Commission's Directorate-General for Education and Culture, this is the report of a survey of older people in Great Britain, carried out in spring 2012. It examined their learning: what they learned, where, when and why, and with what benefits. It also examined whether, and how far, current patterns might be changed. This follows a similar survey in 2005, and reveals some significant changes since then, especially in the role of employment, in the location of learning, and the role of computing and online learning.

We live in an ageing society. Rising life expectancy, improved healthcare and declining birth rates mean that every year a larger proportion of the population is over 50. At the traditional retirement age of 65, most of us can look forward to 20 years more and growing numbers are living into their 90s and beyond. For some, retirement now lasts longer than working life itself.

What does society expect of us after we leave the paid workforce? For individuals, it raises questions about the meaning and purpose of life, and for society it raises questions about how a shrinking proportion of people in work will pay for a growing proportion in retirement.

Although there have always been older people in adult education, they have been a largely neglected minority. As the shape of later life changes, educators and policy-makers need to consider how far learning can help us all, as we age, to lead more rewarding and healthy lives, and to remain active contributing members of the wider community, whether we do this through paid or voluntary work, through caring for partners, grandchildren and friends, or passing on skills and experience. How far can it help us to maintain our independence, and reduce the costs of an ageing society, in health and welfare services, to the wider community?

Please circulate details to your contacts and networks as appropriate, and contact Jane Watts for further details.

Thanks,

Dave

David Shaw
Head of Publications
NIACE
21 De Montfort Street
Leicester LE1 7GE
t: 0116 204 2808
f: 0116 204 4253
e: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Our 2012 catalogue can be downloaded from: www.niace.org.uk/publications/catalogues<http://www.niace.org.uk/publications/catalogues>

Browse and buy our ebooks from http://ebooks.niace.org.uk<http://www.niace.org.uk/publications> and retailers/library providers worldwide

Browse and buy from our full range of printed publications through our online bookshop at: http://shop.niace.org.uk<http://www.niace.org.uk/publications>

Further information on all our publishing activities can be found at: www.niace.org.uk/publications<http://www.niace.org.uk/publications/catalogues>