Dear all

I think this debate has been very healthy and helpful

It has articulated many of the issues about pay, freelance opportunities, the developments and downturn in the consultation market and so on.

There's little doubt we are in tough times and that they are not likely to improve any time soon.

However, this will not stop your trustees from making the case for the professionalism of GEM and its members.  Today at the MA Conference in Edinburgh we are doing exactly this.

Our response to the recession is to come out fighting; for retaining expertise, for heritage learning CPD in all its forms, for learning entitlement, for all the learning expertise we wield in teaching, programming, shaping services and providing leadership within and beyond our many organisations.

If this sounds a bit zealous, I'm not going to apologize.  What we do is vital for the future; how we think about it really matters to us - the many email responses we had about our manifesto bears this out.

If we can raise the expectation and profile of GEM as the voice for heritage learning, I am convinced we'll be all the more able to protect learning in its many forms, our jobs and the value of freelance contracts.

I'd be glad of your responses to this..

Dr Nick Winterbotham
Chair, GEM – the voice for heritage learning

M   07775774539
T   01283 840533
www.nickwinterbotham.com