While this does seem like a nightmare, and comes from a respected
source, those of us who have been in heritage education for some time
cannot help but feel this is a little overly alarmist.

The concentration on literacy and numeracy to the detriment of other
subjects has long been commented on as a feature of the current system
due to changes brought in by the last government. I lost track of the
number of times I complained publicly in the last 20 years about
government not understanding the difference between education and
training and the lack of a humanistic vision for education.

On the other hand there is little doubt that employers and universities
are complaining about the poor literacy and numeracy standards of young
people coming out of school. All is not well at the moment with
education. We need a better informed and more rounded debate about the
purpose of education and how to learn from the best systems worldwide
(which mainly show the importance of having highly trained and
motivated teachers rather than curricula or examination/inspection
processes). I fail to see signs of such a debate either among the
education profession or among politicians of whatever party they
belong to.

I also have little doubt that good teaching will continue, being
delivered by principled, inspiring and hard working teachers who have
devoted their lives to making a difference to their pupils, and have
done this in spite of government regulation and prescription over the
last 20 years.

Don

Don Henson
Freelance Consultant in Public Archaeology and Education

See my web pages at
http://www.independent.academia.edu/DonHenson
http://nowthenuk.wordpress.com

and my new book, Doing Archaeology, at
http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415602129/

I am also Hon. Director of CASPAR
Centre for Audio-Visual Study and Practice in Archaeology
Institute of Archaeology
University College London

<http://primaryreview.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=76419d6b1b1d19bdb86b
393b6&id=6359ac51ab&e=caa9224de4