Hi - no, the most sensible thing to correlate with other subject-specific regressors is definitely the ICA component "timecourse".
Cheers, Steve.

On 14 Nov 2012, at 14:56, Sourena Soheili wrote:

Hi
My data comprises vertexwise geometrically-driven scalar values
spanning the whole cortical/subcortical meshes, which is reshaped to a
vector. Now, in contrast to performing a massive univariate analysis
to find correlation with a variable (a genotype) across population, I
have hypothesized that, generally, genetic factors are likely to leave
some "co-variating" fingerprints on the brain geometry, which can be
extracted/blindly separated by melodic. In other words, I was planning
to use subject weightings associated with each component as a summary
phenotype and see if any genetic factor modulates each component's
"timecourse" across population, hence find out which IC(s) are
statistically influenced by a genetic variation.
The problem: The subject-wise weighting value per component "mixes"
the contribution of both noise and useful signal in that IC, so it
doesn't sound an optimal summary phenotype for feeding into next level
statistics. How can I achieve a summary value for each IC which is not
confounded by spatial regions that are absent in the thresholded maps?
(Actually, some other reasons exist that I can not incorporate a
simple permutation-based univariate analysis in the study design, not
fitting in a short email.)

Thanks,
Sourena