Dear all

We'd like to invite you to a series of GLOBAL QUEER CINEMA network events at the CineCity film festival this month. GQC is partnering with CineCity to present a day of queer film events on November 24th. The network is funded by the AHRC and headed by film scholars Dr Rosalind Galt (Sussex) and Dr Karl Schoonover (Warwick) with the aim of understanding LGBT cinema in a global context. All events are ticketed via CineCity - we'd love to see you there!

2pm: CURATING QUEER FILM CULTURE roundtable brings together filmmakers, activists and curators from London, New York and Mumbai to ask what we want from queer film culture and what role cinema can play in public life for LGBT communities. Our speakers include Sridhar Rangayan (director of the Mumbai International Queer Film Festival, filmmaker and gay rights activist); Stephen Kent Jusick (filmmaker and programmer of MIX NYC, the New York Experimental Lesbian and Gay Film/Video Festival); Campbell X (filmmaker whose new feature Stud Life is a hip, urban queer romance for the YouTube generation); and Brian Robinson (programmer for the London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival).

Following the roundtable at 4pm is KASHISH: INDIAN QUEER SHORTS, a programme of cool, quirky, funny and thought provoking short films guest curated by Sridhar Rangayan. These award winning short films from the Mumbai International Queer Film Festival offer a diverse range of Indian contemporary queer experiences.

At 9pm, we move to The Basement for MIX NYC, two daring and diverse programmes of queer experimental film and video. From exuberant celebration of New York’s sexual energy to culture jamming riffs of the War on Terror, and from trans documentary to campy lesbian fantasy, MIX curator Stephen Kent Jusick serves a heady array of queer classics and new work.

All events November 24th
At Sallis Benney Theatre, 58-67 Grand Parade, Brighton:
·      2pm Curating Queer Film Culture, followed by
·      4pm Kashish: Indian Queer Shorts
At The Basement, 24 Kensington Street, Brighton:
·      9pm MIX NYC Queer Classics followed by
·      MIX NYC New Film and Video

all best
Rosalind

--
Rosalind Galt
Reader in Film Studies

*Pretty: Film and the Decorative Image*
http://cup.columbia.edu/book/978-0-231-15346-1/pretty

*Global Art Cinema: New Theories and Histories*
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/FilmMediaPerformingArts/FilmStudies/?view=usa&ci=9780195385632

*The New European Cinema: Redrawing the Map*
http://cup.columbia.edu/book/978-0-231-13716-4/the-new-european-cinema