Could anyone recommend a brief, basic guide on how to watch a film which I could use in a class with first year university students? A short essay would be ideal. I am teaching a philosophy-through-film course in the spring and would like to assign a first reading that might give the students (most of whom will not have had any film or philosophy instruction previously) some tips on how to watch a film more thoughtfully. If you have something to recommend (especially if you've used it successfully in the past) I would love to hear about it. My apologies if this question has been addressed already and I missed it.
To avoid inbox clogs, feel free to reply off list to: [log in to unmask] If there is general interest in this topic, I am happy to compile the results and forward them on or post them to the list.

Many Thanks

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Robinson
Graduate Student