Apologies for cross-posting

Dear all,

Global Queer Cinema has several events coming up this week in collaboration with Queory at the University of Sussex and CineCity, the Brighton Film Festival. We’re screening films from new Indian comedies to European experimental classics, and we’re also bringing together filmmakers, activists and programmers to discuss queer film culture today. We hope you’ll join us for discussion, drinks and movies…

On Thursday Nov 22nd, at 4pm, in Arts A, Sridhar Rangayan will be showing some of his films and talking about queer film culture and LGBT activism in India. Sridhar is an award-winning filmmaker, founder and director of Kashish: the Mumbai International Queer Film Festival, and the founder of the Humsafar Trust, one of India’s largest community-based organisations working with the rights and health of MSM and transgender people. We’re very pleased to be able to bring Sridhar to Sussex and we hope you’ll join us for a lively presentation and reception to follow. This event is also sponsored by Queory

On Saturday Nov 24th, we have a whole day of queer film events as part of CineCity, the Brighton Film Festival.

At 2pm, in Sallis Benney Theatre, 58-67 Grand Parade, we kick off with a roundtable discussion on CURATING QUEER FILM CULTURE. Our speakers from London, New York and Mumbai consider what we want from queer film culture and what role cinema can play in public life for LGBT communities: Sridhar Rangayan (director of the Mumbai International Queer Film Festival, filmmaker and gay rights activist); Stephen Kent Jusick (filmmaker and programmer of MIX NYC, the New York Experimental Lesbian and Gay Film/Video Festival); Campbell X (filmmaker whose new feature Stud Life is a hip, urban queer romance for the YouTube generation); and Brian Robinson (programmer for the London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival). (Tickets £6/4 available in advance from Duke of York’s cinema or on the door)

Following the roundtable at 4pm is KASHISH: INDIAN QUEER SHORTS, a programme of cool, quirky, funny and thought provoking short films guest curated by Sridhar Rangayan. These award winning short films from the Mumbai International Queer Film Festival offer a diverse range of Indian contemporary queer experiences. (Free screening!)

At 9pm, we move to The Basement at 24 Kensington Street for MIX NYC, two daring and diverse programmes of queer experimental film and video. From exuberant celebration of New York’s sexual energy to culture jamming riffs of the War on Terror, and from trans documentary to campy lesbian fantasy, MIX curator Stephen Kent Jusick serves a heady array of queer classics and new work.  (Tickets £6/4 from www.thebasement.uk.com or on the door)

We look forward to seeing you there!
-- To manage your subscription or unsubscribe from the Film-Philosophy list, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html -- Film-Philosophy Journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com/ Film-Philosophy Conference (London 12 - 14 September 2012): http://www.film-philosophy.com/conference/ --