Dear list members,
Thanks for the 4 prompt responses that I received from Cleo Pappas, Kieran Walsh, Hamid Baradaran and Jim Walker. Looking forwards to more reflections from you.
Best wishes,
Lubna

Sent from my iPad

On 2012-11-15, at 7:02 PM, "Lubna A. Al-Ansary" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear EBMers
In Nov 1992, Gordon Guyatt et al published their land mark paper which coined the term "Evidence-Based Medicine" ("Evidence-Based Medicine. A new approach to teaching the practice of medicine". JAMA 1992; 268: 2420-5) and launched a new era of clinical practice that is morally obliged to refer to valid and relevant research evidence. The JAMA Users' Guide Series followed in the ensuing years. In 1995, Iain Chalmers' "Systematic Reviews" was released and towards the end of 1996 the first edition of Sacket's book came out. Parallel to that was the "Information Mastery" school which had an approach that was different in shape but called for more or less the same patient-oriented goals.

This powerful start lead to the development and use of various methods to:
  • disseminate the concept
  • generate and synthesize the evidence
  • make it accessible and applicable
  • translating it into practice and policies
I am sure there are many lessons that we have learnt in the past 20 years; shedding some light on them might help us in better shape the 3rd decade. It would be great if you can provide me with your thoughts of:
  • top achievements in the journey? what are we proud of? (Mention at least 3).
  • the main features or factors that help the EBHC movement to go forwards? (Try to think of 3 at least)
  • areas to improve on: things that we are not proud of or mistakes that we shouldn't repeat. (try to name 3)
Sorry for being long. I will summarize all your replies in 2 weeks.
Looking forwards to your enlightening responses.
Best wishes,
Lubna

Dr.Lubna A. Al-Ansary, MBBS, MSc, MRCGP, FRCGP
Associate Professor and Consultant,
Head, Family Medicine Unit,
Dept of Family & Community Medicine
College of Medicine, King Saud University,
Holder of "Shaikh Abdullah Bahamdan Research Chair for Evidence-Based Health Care and Knowledge Translation"
P.O.Box 2925, Riyadh 11461
SAUDI ARABIA
Email: [log in to unmask] , [log in to unmask]
Twitter: @LAlansary
http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/5930/default.aspx