Dear Lilith,

My work in this area has been specific to two areas. First is work on mothering with a disability, but it might be of some use to you:

Malacrida, Claudia (2007). “Negotiating the Dependency/Nurturance Tightrope: Dilemmas of Disabled Motherhood.” The Canadian Review of Sociology. 44 (4). 469 – 493.
Malacrida, Claudia (2009). “Gendered Ironies in Home Care: Surveillance, Gender Struggles and Infantilization”. International Journal of Inclusive Education. 13(7). 741 – 752.
Malacrida Claudia (2009). “Performing Motherhood in a Disablist World: Dilemmas of Motherhood, Femininity and Disability.” International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education. 23(1). 99 – 117.

Perhaps more centrally to your concerns, I have also written a chapter for an upcoming anthology on Canadian disability history that unpacks the dependency discourses of vocational rehabilitation in the institutions for 'mental defectives' in Canada, where inmates were made to work for their keep and to produce items for things craft fairs and local sales, and to work in 'social enterprise' businesses and vocational rehabilitation shops outside the institutions in order to pay for their keep. I argue that the communities and institutions relied on the unpaid/slave labour of inmates, not vice-versa. I can share a draft chapter of that with you off list - I've also spoken about it at various conferences, so it's citable in some form or another.

Best wishes,
Claudia

Claudia Malacrida
Professor and Chair, Department of Sociology
University of Lethbridge
UHall A-890, 4401 University Drive
Lethbridge, Alberta
Canada T1K 3M4