I would add to this that the importance of being able to contribute to
society and for this contribution to be valued and taken seriously.  I
think one of the ways in which disabled people are made dependent is by
being forced to be passive recipients rather than also considered as
people who contribute and do things for other people.  I would suggest
that one of the difference between social model approaches to
independence and interdependence is the difference in focus being in a
position to make choices about your own life and being able to
contribute to society and for this to be valued.  However, these two
aspects are complementary, not in competition.
Marion