Dear Miguel,

I agree completely. This is certainly one of the key aspects of syntax representations that separates them from other forms of analysis and makes them conceptually elegant. I would have to think about it - which I will do - and I suspect that there may be a more elegant and compressed representation of the segment graph than the one that doubles up the nodes and which would therefore be compatible with Pajek. In fact I think it would be possible to solve the forward/back link problem with a convention on ordering. However, I suspect that when Alasdair coded this representation he may also have had in mind the need to be able to represent vehicular traffic networks in which segments might also need to represent one way streets and turning restrictions. For this purpose the simplest way of thinking about it would be generally to represent each direction of travel on a segment as a separate node in the graph.

All the best,

Alan

On 26 Nov 2012, at 14:25, miguel serra <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

Dear Alan,

I'm sorry to bother you, surely you have else to do than to reply to my erratic doubts. But it's difficult to resist when the subject is so close to my research interests.

As I understand them, axial lines are also fully geometrical entities (with lenght) not merely aspatial nodes in a graph. Actually, as you have so nicely shown, with universal geometrical properties. Angles of incidence between segments are properties of the edges linking those segments/nodes. And segments lenghts are node attributes, not edge attributes. All this is clear and can be formally stated. But one of the most interesting characteristics of space syntax is the duality between map/graph, indeed something that could be a lesson to the entire research comunity studying spatial networks (of all kinds, not just street networks). The idea of a graph that encapsulates geometrical properties because it is a product of a previous (and particularly inteligent) geometrical reduction of spatial form (the axial and subsquently the segment maps),  is a "Columbus egg" yet to be surpassed by other dual representations. I believe that the segment graph, while encoding geometrical attributes in the nodes (lenght) and in the edges (angle of incidence), is doing something very simillar to the axial graph (just with the difference that it is weighted). Now, if this virtuous duality is blurred by means of a less transparent computer implementation (and I should make clear here that I'm not criticising the method in itself, just the lack of explicity) something of the best space syntax has to offer would be lost. And if the reason for this being so is just because of the difficulty in implementing the search of shortest angular paths (i.e. making sure that such paths are not calculated in an erroneous way) it is a pitty that such matters are not made immediatly clear, because eventually someone (certainly not me!) could find a better (or alternative) way. As for Pajek, it can handle any type of graph and is widely used for many purposes else than social networks. Because, in the end, it all sums up to mathematics, I think that there are no real analytical hindrances between any type of network, providing that they are well defined.

Again, please excuse me for insisting in such enthusiastic way on this issue, it is just that it is particularly relevant to me. I thank you for having lost some time with it.

Kind regards,
Miguel

De: "Penn, Alan" <[log in to unmask]>
Para: [log in to unmask]
Enviadas: Segunda-feira, 26 de Novembro de 2012 13:05
Assunto: Re: Enc: Problem exporting segment graph to Pajek

To answer the question - probably both :-) yes there may be other representations and this one probably has the benefit of fitting the specific structure of Depthmap algorithms (i.e.. it was a practical programmer's approach) but that itself may tell us something.

The key thing here is that segments in Depthmap are not just topological entities but fully geometric entities with both length and angles of incidence to other segments. The Depthmap segment graph allows that geometric information to be retained (and I think can be reconstituted to produce the original map). As I understand it Pajek was designed to deal mainly with 'non spatial' networks (e.g. social social nets) and so isn't really set up to think about networks that occur in the real space of geometry. It is possible to get from Depthmap to Pajek but to get back to a real map would require additional information.

Alan

On 26 Nov 2012, at 12:39, miguel serra <[log in to unmask]>