Hi, everyone, we're working towards a 'proper' launch of data.ac.uk soon, with some actual data!

We've been working on a few aspects.

License Information
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ixWYno68ToJdvu5hn1_DWvwmEqr83Co7Q5WDqxTi9zg/edit#

Organisation profile document; hub.data.ac.uk

This will be an RDF document which gets harvested daily by hub.data.ac.uk from each UK university providing open data services. We won't be strict about what must be included but will have a suggested set of information to describe your organisation and its open data (location, disposition, license etc.).

Ideally it'll be auto-discoverable via .well-known/openorg or a <link rel='openorg' href='http://...' /> on the homepage, but if that is a pain, we'll let people register the location.

Equipment.data.ac.uk

The plan is that we'll use the profile document to discover the location and format of open data about equipment/facilities/capabilities. Ideally as an RDF document, but we will also accept a simple Excel/CSV format, the KitCatalogue JSON format, and probably PURE and CERIF.

learning-provider.data.ac.uk

This already exists as a pilot. It will (initially) contain a list of all UK universities and some basic open data about them. I aim to augment it with some additional data I feel will be highly useful; link-sets to education.data.gov.uk, dbpedia and ORI, plus a dataset listing what consortia universities belong to (N8, Russell Group, 1994, Million+ etc). It won't include "informal" groupings like oxbridge or "redbrick" as that's a can of worms. I've also used the primary contact postcode to resolve the Easting/Northing and Lat/Long of a useful reference point for each one which should be useful in resolving distances on the equipment database.

CPV

This is an idea I just had today, data.ac.uk isn't the *perfect* place to provide URIs for CPV codes, but I was considering registering http://purl.org/cpv/ but holding the data on cpv.data.ac.uk. If you're not familiar with these codes, they are the codes EU public sector organisations must use when procuring stuff.

Logo

We now have a nice new website logo (attached), and we've also got the 'raw' version of the fractal as a vector http://lemur.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~cjg/data-ac-uk.svg.php
--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248