As usual, I find hardly a quibble with Nicholas' splendid outline and interpretations here.

I would only add that there was a collapse of the industrialized bicycle industry in the second half of the 1890s. Unscrupulous financial speculators floated stock offerings that constituted an irrational bubble. When the bubble burst, cycling lost much of its cachet as an activity of proper society, in part, I would suggest, because many society types were taken in by the fraud. (Lawson and Hooley were the most notorious.

After the crash, after the bottom fell out, after the market was thinned, a different class of machine was available at a lower price.

One of Hercules' innovations was hire purchase, further lowering the threshold. But not in the 1880s - 1890s.

Cheers,

David Patton
Washington, DC

[Sent from my iPhone (with a tiny keyboard) on the Metro ...]