National processes vary. In the US in depts with postgrad. programs, a postgraduate student is likely to be included as an official member of a hiring search committee in at least some insitutions (i don't know how widely). Meetings with postgrad. students and candidates arranged and their commentary sought.  Candidates may also be asked to teach a class or make a presentation about their teaching as well as a presentation about their research. Advertisements for positions may ask for written "statements of teaching philosophy" along with CVs, cover letters etc.

Keep in mind that the US internview process will likely include a 2 day or so campus visit by each candidate. There may also be an initial screening of a wider pool by phone interviews. In one recent case I know the interview team on the phone included a postgraduate student.

________________________________
From: A forum for critical and radical geographers [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Jeronimo Montero bressan [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Involving students in the hiring process

Hi Tucker,

This might not be useful, as it’s a very different reality. In public universities in Argentina, generally undergraduate students in their final years (undergrad courses generally take 5 years) MUST be part of the hiring process and have voting weight (generally it’s 1 undergrad student, 1 graduate, and 3 professors who decide). In some universities, this has been the case since the ‘university revolution’ in 1918, which had impacts all throughout Latin America.

We certainly have SERIOUS problems of corruption in the ‘contests’, but this is not related with the involvement of undergrad students. Quite the contrary, it’s professors who generally choose those with whom they have made an informal agreement (“I give you this, you give me that”) and fix the results accordingly. The role of the undergrads is usually that of trying to prevent this from happening and provide a, say, ‘less polluted’ opinion.

I know this doesn’t help, but I find it fascinating to see how different things can be.
Best,
Jero