4-Dec-2012
Atlas 1+2
4-5:30pm, with drinks reception following

Justus Uitermark, Erasmus University (Rotterdam)

An Inspiring yet Dangerous Idea: The Science and Politics of Self-Organization

Self-organization is an idea whose time has come. As an explanatory concept, self-organization is central to complexity theory, which is quickly becoming a powerful and perhaps even dominant paradigm in both the natural and social sciences. As a political idea, self-organization is filling the void that is opening up as both the state and market are increasingly perceived as undemocratic, unjust and inefficient. In this lecture, I explore the science and politics of self-organization. I argue that self-organization indeed is an inspiring ideal but that it is often misunderstood and may produce adverse consequences when it is used as a political guide. I present research showing how self-organization leads to inequalities both online and offline, in cyberspace and in cities. While self-organization is too inspiring to abandon, its harsh realities need to be accounted for if we want to think and work with it.

Hosted by the Cultural Geography Group
For more information on this and other upcoming lectures, visit www.wageningenur.nl/geo.