Dear all,

We welcome abstracts for the session “Landscape histories of rural-urban interfaces” at the Nordic Geographers’ Meeting in Reykjavík, Iceland, 11-14 June 2013:

http://conference.hi.is/ngm2013/landscape-histories/

Call for papers:

In the last decades anti-essential and relational approaches to rural – urban interfaces have emerged within geography and neighbouring disciplines as a critique of previous planning, models of urban growth or modern conceptions of the rural-urban fringe. By questioning previous models, it has been argued, research can provide a better understanding of the complex fabric of rural-urban interfaces, and thus facilitate more responsible approaches to landscapes formed by such interactions. In this special session we are searching for papers questioning the taken for granted conceptions of urban – rural interfaces through studies of landscapes. We are particularly interested in papers with a historical perspective on 19th and 20th century landscape and planning history and/or geographical discourses. We are primarily hoping for papers which either provide a critical perspective or elaborate on theoretical and methodological approaches to new perspectives on rural – urban interfaces.

Session organizers:

Mattias Qviström, Department of Landscape Architecture, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Alnarp, Sweden

Tomas Germundsson, Department of Human Geography, Lund University, Sweden

Call for papers is open until 31 January 2013.

Best regards,

Tomas Germundsson

Professor

Department of Human Geography, Lund University, Sweden

Phone: +46 46 222 84 21

Postal address: Sölvegatan 12, S-223 62 Lund, Sweden