Hi Nick

These could be useful.

1) Making the connection: mobile phone geographies

This is a bit dated, but could be very helpful: what we did with a group of 14/15 year old school Geography students in 2007 (including a resource pack and other stuff you might find useful: http://makingtheconnectionresources.wordpress.com).

2) Demand a fair trade cell phone

A 9 minute video of a TED talk by Bandi Mbubi of the 'Congo Calling' campaign, who talks about mobile phones as both fueling the civil war in the DRC and an essential communication tool for activists, journalists, etc. As he says 4 minutes in,  "Don't throw your phones away yet. Because the incredible irony is that the technology that has placed such unsustainable devastating demands on the Congo is the same technology that has brought this situation to our attention".

3) The iPhone 4CF

A brilliant (I think) piece of cultural activism in which spoof website was created advertising a new 'conflict free' iPhone, which you could get from your local Apple Store by simply going in and asking for a free upgrade. When you are told that it's not available, then the question is 'why not?' The campaign, its tactics, discussions that it generated, and impacts/outcomes that it had are all detailed here http://www.followthethings.com/iphone4cf.shtml This page was recommended as a post-16 resource in the Geographical Association's 2012 'Geography Awareness Week' pack (download here<http://worldwise.geography.org.uk/geographyawarenessweek/GAW_2012.pdf>).

To expand on Mark Graham's generous plug, most of followthethings.com<http://followthethings.com>'s pages are intended to be cut-and-pastable for use in a variety of classes, and the whole site is intended to be a resource for trade justice education and research. We are keen to publish teaching materials that draw upon the site's pages (+ other resources) on our 'Classroom' page http://iwanttodiscussthat.wordpress.com/teaching-resources/ If you - or anyone else - are interested in publishing the teaching resources you put together (and/or a description of what you did in class, what happened, etc.), please get in touch.

We are hoping to develop a series of free, school-friendly followthethings.com<http://followthethings.com> teaching resources in 2013 and will publicize them via twitter (@followthethings), facebook (http://tinyurl.com/cgls52p) and CGF.

Good luck with this!

Best wishes

Ian

Ian Cook
Associate Professor of Geography
University of Exeter

http://followthethings.com

On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:07 PM, Julie Cupples <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>