Contents

In Memory of Neil Smith

Articles

Caging /self-caging: materiality and memes as tools for geopolitical
analysis.
Fabrizio Eva 1

Cree Ethnogeography
Gwilym Lucas Eades 15

Mapping in Epistemological Translation, revising the critique of GIS
(Geographical Information Systems) as an instrument of cultural assimilation
Oscar Forero 32

What the US Should Learn from China for a More Balanced and Peaceful World
Fabio Massimo Parenti 50

Can the US learn from China for a more balanced and peaceful world?
Pádraig Carmody 64

China is not as violent as depicted by the West!
Fabio Massimo Parenti 67

Return to the City of Quartz: Excavating the Future 20 Years On
Alexander R. Tarr 72

City of Quartz at 20: The Other Valley and Unincorporated Dreams
Wendy Cheng 88

Post City of Quartz Los Angeles
Juan De Lara 94

Children of the City of Quartz
Alexander R. Tarr 97

Comments
Mike Davis 100

Reviews

Forsaking the Civilian
Review Essay by Craig Jones 103

The Enigma of Capital: And the Crises of Capitalism
Reviewed by Tina Grandinetti 113

Cities and Fascination: Beyond the Surplus of Meaning
Reviewed by Anna Cieslik 117

The European Union and Global Social Change: A Critical
Geopolitical-Economic Analysis
Reviewed by Ulrich Best 120

The Energy Glut: The Politics of Fatness in an Overheating World
Reviewed by Susan J. Massad 122

Global Warming: The Causes, The Perils, The Solutions
Reviewed by Richard Peet 127