4th International and Interdisciplinary
Conference on Emotional Geographies

University of Groningen, the Netherlands,
July 1-3, 2013

Emotions in
fieldwork.

Convenors:

Katy Bennett (University
of Leicester) and Bettina van Hoven (University of Groningen)

This session opens up space for conversation around emotions
in research.  It aims to explore the
different ways in which people engage with emotion, affect and feelings in
their fieldwork, analysis, writing, filming, photography (and more besides) to
develop understanding and knowledge in their work.  How have research methods and practices
advanced to embrace the significance of emotion for meaningful research?  What theoretical work have researchers found
useful when it comes to thinking about feelings in fieldwork? How do we analyse
and make sense of experiences and feelings in fieldwork?  How do we write or re-present our research in
a way that is evocative, meaningful and has an affect?  So often researchers are beetling away alone
when thinking through these sorts of issues, this session brings people
together for inter-disciplinary, thought provoking discussion.

Please send abstracts of approx 300 words to Katy
([log in to unmask]) and Bettina ([log in to unmask]) before Jan 5th, 2013.

Website 4th International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Emotional Geographies: http://www.rug.nl/frw/onderzoek/emospa/index
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/131405216997514/