Hi all,

As you probably know, AMEG has the position that we are in a planetary crisis now, which demands immediate action to cool the Arctic.  Any delay could take us past a point of no return.  George Marshall (full text reproduced below) comes to a worrying conclusion:

"The critical condition for affecting longer term attitudes is the extent to which events are translated into a socially held narrative that speaks to people’s sense of their own identity. And this requires a steady long term approach – waiting until the dust has settled and working with trusted local communicators who can make a case that the single event fits into a narrative pattern of longer term change."

This gives me some thoughts about how the collapse of sea ice this year to a new record low has not had the effect that people like John Davies had hoped.  Any disaster seems to reinforce people’s world view.  George seems to explain it in terms of social cohesion.  But in the case of the sea ice, it's a disaster waiting to happen - a September free of sea ice in 2015, with terrible repercussions on food security and the risk of a methane excursion.  Thus for the Met Office it must be a different kind of social cohesion – they must have rallied around to come to a common understanding of the sea ice event within their own world view, heavily influenced by their own climate models.  The result has been an even stronger denial of the danger from sea ice disappearance and the repercussions thereof.  And we are seeing this denial everywhere in the scientific establishment.  The environment lobby and NGOs just follow in their footsteps.

Thus George’s conclusion is very worrying in that we just don’t have time for a “steady long-term approach”.  This is our dilemma - the stronger evidence AMEG gives of impending crisis, the stronger the resistance from the people at the Met Office and the rest of the scientific establishment.

How can we resolve this dilemma quickly?  Our target is to prevent a worse collapse of Arctic sea ice next year!

Cheers,

John

Chair AMEG (but writing in a personal capacity)