I like the sample frequencies but am concerned that these are designed to allow statistical analysis:

"NHBC considers good practice would be for the frequency of testing indicated in Table 1 to be adopted, when the source of the capping materials is unknown, to provide sufficient data for statistical analysis."

A large-ish development of 35 plots will need 10 samples - please don't start doing lots of stats on a dataset of 10.

I don't follow the logic in the last paragraph that soil doesn't need testing where the soil is not a cover system for a contaminated site but is just soil - surely the soil is performing the same function regardless of whether there is contaminated material beneath it or just rock? The paragraph seems to contradict itself in that they don't need testing but then say the soil has to comply with BS3882 and their own Standards. How do you demonstrate compliance without testing?

Clive Williams
Principal environmental scientist
Halcrow Group Ltd
A CH2M HILL COMPANY