We've found that high PEG concentration seems to compete with dye binding, so I'm not surprised your didn't see good uptake.
I doubt the anomalous signal is from the dye ... if you calculate the molar dye concentration you would need to have significant occupancy in the lattice, you'll probably find that the crystals would look almost black ... unless there was a color change.

I recall seeing a poster at the annual ACA meeting 3-4 years ago maybe, in which somebody was using polybrominated or polyiodinated aromatics to both dye the crystals and phase the structures at once. In fact, I think we gave the poster an award for that. I don't have my past notes handy to remember, but could look it up if you're interested.

Richard Gillilan
MacCHESS