As usual, Wikipedia has it right: "The antifreeze
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze_%28coolant%29> capabilities of
ethylene glycol have made it an important component of vitrification
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryopreservation#Vitrification>
(anticrystallization) mixtures .."

Perhaps we should call it anticrystallization?

George

--
Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,