As already mentioned by jrh, I again want to impress that B-factor and
occupancy are in principle two entirely different parameters.

They may appear as achieving the same thing upon refinement at the
resolution we deal with in most macromolecular structures.

The fact is that reduced occupancy just *scales down* the entire scattering
function at a given B, while an increased B-factor *changes the shape* of
the scattering curve, i.e. makes it narrower in reciprocal space and thus in
direct space gives a broader electron density. Reduced occupancy just
reduces electron density levels. Those are physically distinctly different
although not easily separable effects. I have an applet that can be used to
see the point

http://www.ruppweb.org/cgi-bin/webscat.exe?E1=O
<http://www.ruppweb.org/cgi-bin/webscat.exe?E1=O&B=50.0&Occupation_factor=0.
5&B1=Submit> &B=50.0&Occupation_factor=0.5&B1=Submit

(disregard the core dump in the cgi)

and a figure from the book also shows this:

http://www.ruppweb.org/Garland/gallery/Ch9/pages/Biomolecular_Crystallograph
y_Fig_9-06.htm

Note that by reducing occupancy I can achieve a *similar* overall effect
than by increasing B, but not the *same* electron density distribution!

If the data are good enough (and reasonably high resolution), a refinement
program can refine both parameters simultaneously, although with a high
covariance.

In summary, similar appearance is not caused by the same effect.

Best, BR

PS: Partial occupancy is not the same as disorder. You can have well-ordered
different occupancies that manifest themselves then in superstructure

patterns. Common in small molecule/materials.

PPS: Neither n or B have anything to do with reflection spot width, btw!