When I did my thesis, I read the Mansfield Judgement very carefully and also talked it over with a solicitor friend who had done it as part of her legal training.     If you read the opening preamble, Mansfield clearly sets out the primary basis for his judgement, which is the limitations of English law. The main point of the Mansfield Judgement is not the issue of the legality of slavery but people read it through the prism of slavery because a slave was at the centre of it.

Essentially, masters who brought slaves from the colonies assumed they were enslaved here as well. France actually had laws to ensure this - see 'There are no slaves in France' by Sue Peabody and also the Code Noir.  However, as Mansfield makes it (admittedly not very) clear in his review of English law, there has been no legislation about slavery since the establishment of Common Law, on which English law is still based.  Mansfield said only positive law - i.e. the creation of legislation by Parliament - could create slavery in this country.  Therefore Somerset, who presumably had no contract of employment, could not be compelled to do anything.  Specifically in this case, this was to go abroad with his master.  Mansfield did not abolish slavery - he concluded it did not exist here.

My informant said the Mansfield Judgment is still relevant.  Her practice had a lot of Indian clients who had land disputes over property in India.  They wanted this tried in English courts by English law because they both lived here.  She had to tell them, much to their bewilderment, that they had to go back to India and fight it through the courts there.

It's also relevant because the various slaves brought here from places like Mali and the Sudan where it still exists cannot be compelled to return - see various autobiographies.

Kathy