Nicely articulated, Fabian and Deveon!

Thanks,

Caroline

-----Original Message-----
From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Fabian Tompsett
Sent: 24 November 2012 13:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: an African descent British army officer prior to Walter Tull

I too would question the value of twenty first century eyes peering at photographs to evaluate whether people "appear white". In fact one of the

problems of enforcing apartheid and other racial segregated social systems is that the boundaries are difficult to police. In some areas, such as

Brazil "whiteness" could be bought (and not simply through bribery as happened off the record elsewhere). The appeal system for racial

categorisation in force in South Africa used language as a major factor.

The invention of the Afrikaans as a racial category revolved to a great extent around language, and in particular how a creole language cased on

Dutch developed with the appearance of mass produced newspapers which could vary in how the used language etc. Confronted with an ethnic continuum amongst the Afrikaanse speaking communities, the architects of the new racial category sought the establishment of a racial category broader enough to represent an electoral challenge to the English speakers, but still excluding a substantial number of Afrikaanse speakers

they could call "coloureds".

Gerald Horne's "Race War: White Supremacy and The Japanese Attack on the British Empire" (2004) is very useful on this topic, having a chapter entitled: To be of "Pure European Descent" a term taken from the 1936 Air Ministry Colour bar restrictions. Horne's cites an African administrator as indicating that there was a "tendency to suspect colour in anyone who has been near the [West] Indies. (p. 41)

So let us not add further confusion to an area which through its very irrationality must perforce be riddled with confusion by adding a further

layer of speculation.

all the best

Fabian