READ THIS EMAIL IN YOUR BROWSER

SPECIAL EDITION NEWSLETTER

November 6, 2012

Greetings Marika

I would like to thank the BCA Friends Committee for organising this fundraising event and special thanks to the Januka Dance Group for responding so positively to the call. We greatly appreciate every contribution that goes towards the long term sustainability of Black Cultural Archives.

This event is just the type of community-led initiative that we must encourage. I particularly like the choice of activity – Quadrille..., Jamaican style. It demonstrates that our Friends Committee have made the link between raising funds and heritage. We have an opportunity to learn, have a good time and support the organisation at the same time. How exciting is that?!

Read more

Paul Reid, Director.

SPOTLIGHT: What is Quadrille? Words by Beverly Bogle, Group Coordinator
Image courtesy of all voices.com

An English square "country" dance of the 17th and 18th century, that became popular within European High Societies and performed on special occasions as part of their pageantry.

Taken to the Caribbean in 18th and early 19th centuries by English and French Enslavement traders/masters and regularly performed at grand occasions in "Great Houses".

GET INVOLVED
Words by Marie Garrison, Chair of the Friend's of BCA

2012 has been a very special year with lots to celebrate. This November, the Friends of BCA are hosting a special evening of traditional Caribbean folk dance at Lambeth Town Hall. The evening will feature the Januka Quadrille Dance Group who have been dancing quadrille since 2006. Quadrille has been a positive hallmark of Jamaican heritage, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary of independence this year.

The proceeds of this event will go to the new Black heritage centre at Raleigh Hall. In the coming months, we will be hosting many more events where we will be enlisting your support.

So get your dancing shoes on and I look forward to seeing you there!

UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS EMAIL

Black Cultural Archives | 1 Othello Close, Kennington, London SE11 4RE | Charity Number 1051087
Tel:
+44 (0)20 7582 8516 | Email: [log in to unmask]  | www.bcaheritage.org.uk

Web Bug from http://bcaheritage-enews.org.uk/PGQ-11CKC-5SD4C6/o.gif