Two vacancies located at the Tate Britain, Millbank site to commence January 2013

1. Archive Data Inputter: Transforming Tate Britain: Building, Archives, Access

Gain hands on experience in a world-class archive

This is a unique opportunity to work on a culturally significant project. We’re making 52,000 items from Tate Archive available to the public for viewing online for the first time. These include diaries, letters, and sketchbooks from influential British artists of the 20th century, such as Stanley Spencer, Barbara Hepworth, Ben Nicholson, and Henry Moore. This is an invaluable opportunity to collaborate with experts to share our archive collections in new and innovative ways.

As a member of the Archive Team, you will enter information accurately and to specific detail while identifying any additional copyright owners and working with conservators and volunteers to ensure materials are properly conserved and re-packaged. At the same time, you will assist with the production of displays and tours, help Library and Archive researchers in the Hyman Kreitman Reading Rooms, and contribute to exhibitions, talks, and visits. It’s a great chance to broaden your expertise and develop your career prospects in this area.

Ideally, you will come from another digitisation project and have a good understanding of 20th century British art. You will have voluntary or paid experience of handling and preservation as well as cataloguing or data entry at an art gallery, museum, or archive. An excellent communicator and positive team player, you will have a sound understanding of Microsoft Office packages, including email, internet, database and internet applications. Bring a flair for maintaining high levels of accuracy under pressure, and you’ll enjoy great benefits, a good social network, and the chance to contribute to the cultural heritage of the nation.

Supported by the National Lottery through the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Closing date: Monday 26 November 2012, 17:00

Our opportunities are open for you to apply online. Please visit:
www.tate.org.uk/about/workingattate/ to create an account by registering your details or if you are an existing user, log into your account.

For all opportunities, we ask candidates to complete an online application form for the vacancy they are interested in. If you need an application form in an alternative format, please call us on 020 7887 4997. Once you have submitted your application, you can keep track of its progress by logging in to your account.

Our jobs are like our galleries, open to all.

2. Archive Trainee: Transforming Tate Britain: Building, Archives, Access

£8.30 per hour allowance - Fixed term for 9 months, starting January – 36 hours per week
Based Millbank

Gain hands on experience with a world-class archive team.

If you’ve got a real commitment to pursuing a career in archives, this paid traineeship is your chance to gain vital knowledge and experience. We’re making 52,000 items from the Tate archive available to the public for viewing online for the first time. These include diaries, letters, and sketchbooks from influential British artists of the 20th century, such as Stanley Spencer, Barbara Hepworth, Ben Nicholson, and Henry Moore. Supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, this is an invaluable opportunity to collaborate with experts to share our cultural heritage in new and innovative ways.

This is also a rare opportunity for you to contribute to the world’s largest archive of British art and contribute to our award winning website (www.tate.org.uk). You will develop important skills as you help the project team digitise items that show a diverse picture of Britain, telling stories from black British artists, women artists, and émigres. You’ll gain experience of data inputting, cataloguing, and researching copyright from artists’ papers. You will also be given first-hand experience of acquisition, accessioning, and outreach work. What’s more, the role will provide you with practical skills to be considered for a postgraduate archive qualification.

You will have a demonstrable interest in art and an obvious ambition in working in the archive sector.  Ideally, you’ll have handling and preservation experience, and have gained previous volunteering experience at an art gallery, museum, or archive. You’ll definitely have a proven track record of providing good customer service. With the ability to learn new computer skills, you will have a sound understanding of Microsoft Office packages, including email, internet, and database applications. Your methodical and accurate approach will be matched by the communication skills and confidence to work effectively as part of our very friendly and enthusiastic team.