Dear all,
We have a volunteer, Helen, who is at the moment very actively repackaging, listing and researching a collection of glass plates here - they belonged to George Paxton, a Kilmarnock based brewer and keen amateur photographer, and date between around 1890 and 1904.
As part of her research she has visited Paxton's descendents to see what remains in family hands and has come across 6 albums belonging to the 'Talbot Album Club' - We thought initially that this might be a Scottish club, and Helen has asked around here and no-one has heard of it, however, on actually looking at the albums it turns out it was UK wide.

As Helen says "The club, which had been set up in 1886, was a ‘circulating album club’ which connected a network of gentlemen amateurs based throughout England and with some members in Ireland. In Scotland, apart from George Paxton, James Fleming, Glasgow was an active member throughout this period and John Fleming (a collection of whose photographs of Scottish buildings is held by RCAHMS) may also have been involved. A leading light was Fred. H Davies, later in the 1890s described as Hon.Secretary, who in 1900 was based in Hampton-in Arden Warwickshire."

"It appears that on a regular basis, perhaps as often as monthly, an album was circulated, to which members (13 or 14 per volume) contributed a print together with a label describing how the image had been made, developed and printed. Landscapes and architectural studies predominate but genre studies etc also appear."

"A label in one of the volumes implies that ultimate ownership of each album was determined by an annual ballot . Although we have been unable so far to find other examples of the Club albums in Scotland, the implication is that many more than these 6 were produced, so it seems likely that others will turn up in public collections, particularly in England where the majority of members were based."

So! I'm sending this email to enquire if any other list members have heard of this club, or know of any other albums out there?
with thanks and best wishes,
Leonie