Posted on behalf of the British Records Association:

OPPORTUNITY FOR VOLUNTEER ARCHIVISTS

Part-Time Volunteer Archivist: Records Preservation Section

We are seeking a suitable person to join our team of volunteer archivists who are engaged in carrying out the work of the Records Preservation Section.  Principally this work involves sorting, classifying and identifying suitable places of deposit for the historical records received at our Finsbury Library premises from a variety of owners and depositors.  The records usually received are deeds, legal, estate and personal papers relating to British history from the sixteenth century to the twentieth century.  There are also opportunities for advisory and archive appraisal work conducted off-site and for contributing to a continuing archival appraisal project based at the Law Society Library in Holborn.

This role might particularly suit newly qualified archivists wishing to diversify their archival experience or archivists who have ceased regular full-time employment but wish to continue to use their skills and experience.   Applicants should have a recognised archival qualification.  Although this is a volunteer role, an honorarium of £500 a year is available for a suitable candidate who is able to commit to devoting a minimum of two days a week regularly to the position.  Necessary expenses incurred by volunteers in carrying out its work are met by the Association.

Further enquiries and applications should be addressed to Dr Anthony Smith, the Chairman of the Records Preservation Section, by email at  [log in to unmask]   or in writing to the British Records Association, Finsbury Library, 245 St John Street, London EC1V 4NB.   The closing date for applications is 7 December 2012

The Association would also be very pleased to hear from any qualified archivist who has time to spare and is willing to devote some of it to assisting us with our work on a more occasional basis.

Karen Stapley

Honorary Secretary

British Records Association

Karen Stapley
Archivist
Girlguiding UK
17-19 Buckingham Palace Road
London
SW1W 0PT

Tel: (020) 7834 6242 ext 3001

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.girlguiding.org.uk

Girlguiding UK enables girls and young women to develop their potential and make a difference to the world…
…but to do this we need more people to volunteer their time to give more girls the opportunity to grow in guiding. Click here to find out how:
http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/get_involved.aspx

This email message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer. Girlguiding UK may monitor emails for business and operational purposes.By replying to this message you give your consent to our monitoring of your email communications with us. While all reasonable care has been taken to avoid transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that any opening or use of this message or any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by Girlguiding UK and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

This email message has been delivered safely and archived online by Mimecast.