The issues raised here by the Canadian National Archivist might be of interest to UK archivists - good Friday reading.
Pat

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Braden Cannon
Sent: 22 November 2012 21:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Arcan-l] Caron on archival description

Daniel Caron had some very eyebrow-raising things to say to the Standing Committee on Official Languages on November 6 that will surely be of interest to archivists.  The full transcript of his comments is available here:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=1&DocId=5827447&File=0

It's worth reading in full, but here are some of the most interesting parts.  For instance, he apparently thinks that archival description will no longer be necessary:

"In the past, we used to have to manually describe all the materials that were coming in. Under the legal deposit system, for instance, we were responsible for describing all the books. Today, this operation can be directly done digitally. Since the entries are already created by the publishers, we do not need to redo the work. That used to be a lot of work. I cannot tell you exactly how many people were doing that job, but I can certainly tell you that there is no longer a need to do that work. Much of this type of work is becoming increasingly unnecessary. That includes the description of archival materials. Since we now get the materials in digital form, we can automatically search inside those materials."

He also thinks that born-digital records should be and will be made available immediately through "direct link:"

"We would like everything that is created digitally to be available right away. That is our ultimate objective. So we are trying to shorten the time between when materials are acquired and when Canadians can access those materials. We are working a great deal on that. There will be no wait time. It will be a direct link."

Hmmmmmm.....

(as always, these are my own thoughts and observations and do not represent my institution)

Braden Cannon
Private Records Archivist
Provincial Archives of Alberta
8555 Roper Road
Edmonton, AB T6E 5W1
telephone: (780) 644-1605; fax: (780) 427-4646