Dear Nick Thanks for this statement on Ruskin from TNA. I think it's clear from the response to my FoI request (see http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/records_management) that the College has not managed its records in line with the code of practice and has badly misjudged what we might call its "archival stakeholders". For those following or catching up with the saga, there's a round-up of links at http://msarahwickham.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/ruskin-round-up/ and other personal thoughts on the blog. The whole episode has raised some major issues for the profession, and I would be interested to hear from the Archives & Records Association and the IRMS, as well as JISC, whether any similar public statements are being made. Best wishes Sarah posting in my personal capacity... M Sarah Wickham, MA, MA, Registered Archivist & Records Manager Project Director, Heritage @ Huddersfield University of Huddersfield +44 (0)1484 473 935 Web: http://library.hud.ac.uk/heritage/ LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/msarahwickham Twitter @msarahwickham Heritage@Huddersfield – an exciting project to transform Archives & Special Collections Find out more http://library.hud.ac.uk/heritage/ On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 12:59:38 +0000, Kingsley, Nick <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >Colleagues, We have been liaising recently with Ruskin College with regard to the management of their student records. Our view is that it would have been acceptable to retain these records indefinitely for historical purposes by reference to section 33 and Schedule 8 Part IV to the Data Protection Act 1998 and SI 2000 No 417 paragraph 9. It is critical that records are managed in line with the code of practice issued under section 46 of the Freedom of Information Act: Sections 10, 11 and 12 give clear guidelines on the selection of records for retention or destruction as well as on storage and preservation and security. There has also been public concern about the fate of archival collections deposited with Ruskin College. Our discussions with Ruskin have confirmed that while some collections have been retained by the college most have been transferred to other archival institutions; none have been destroyed. When we have received complete information from the college about relocations, we will update relevant entries on the National Register of Archives. The National Archives has no statutory powers in this space, because Ruskin College is not subject to the Public Records Act, but we do have a leadership role for the archives sector. We believe that by issuing guidance and offering advice to holding institutions, and encouraging the cataloguing of collections, we can help to ensure that material with historical value survives and remains accessible. Nicholas Kingsley | Head of Archives Sector Development & Secretary of the Historical Manuscripts Commission The National Archives | Kew | Richmond | Surrey TW9 4DU | 0208 392 5369: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- National Archives Disclaimer This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the email. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ > >Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask] > >For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at >https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=archives-nra Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask]