I have been blogging for a year about learning and teaching statistics, and thought you might be interested.

My latest post is about the awful Excel Histograms and what to watch out for if you have to use them, especially in teaching.

Beware of Excel Histograms

Popular previous posts include:

A critique of Khan Academy Statistics videos: Khan Academy Statistics videos are not good

An explanation of the revolutionary change in the New Zealand High School curriculum away from Fisher and towards resampling:

Why resampling is better than hypothesis tests and confidence intervals

And a critique of statistics textbooks: Statistics Textbooks suck out all the fun.

My personal favourite, which did not receive the attention I feel it deserved is about transnumeration:

I am many numbers (and finishes with a clip from The Prisoner)

My apologies to people on the ANZSTAT list who may have heard from me twice this week already.

Nicola

Dr Nicola Ward Petty
Creative Heuristics Ltd
Phone 64 3 980 0901

See my blog: Learn and Teach Statistics and Operations Research

www.learnandteachstatistics.wordpress.com

and our fabulous new app AtMyPace: Statistics:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atmypace-statistics/id477053351?ls=1&mt=8

SIGNOFF allstat