Many thanks Richard,

But I could find no mention of pituitary gonadotrophins profile in ectopic gestation in this document. I know that it doesn't matter as we don't usually measure pituitary gonadotrophins in suspected ectopics and mainly rely on measuring beta-hCG and progesterone for their assessment. However, the case example I came across puzzled me as piuitary gonadotrophins were requested by the GP for the assessment of irregular menstrual bleed, and they were of a follicular phase pattern with very positive serum beta-hcG.

Mohammad
From: Mainwaring-Burton Richard (SOUTH LONDON HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST) <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: Gonadotrophins puzzle solved

Attached might be relevant/helpful

with best wishes
Richard
Richard Mainwaring-Burton
Consultant Biochemist
South London Healthcare Trust
Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woolwich
Princess Royal Hospital, Farnborough
Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup
020-8836-5724
mob: 07831-739876

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mohammad Al-Jubouri
Sent: 23 November 2012 14:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Gonadotrophins puzzle solved

Patient attended ED with abdominal pain, a repeat blood tests showed:

FSH                       7.3
LH                          3.4
Oestradiol            149
Progesterone       5.2
Beta-hCG            982

Ultrasound showed ectopic pregnancy.

So gonadotrophins are not suppressed in some ectopic pregnancies whrere oestradiol and progesterone production is blunted and hence no negative feedback on pituitary gonadotrophins.

Now this is a new learning case for me and wonder if some of you have observed such detectable gonadotrophins associated with ectopic gestation.

Regards

Mohammad