Surely the lesson here is that we should be trying to influence protocols before the testing occurs, rather than trying to comment on numbers and tests where minimal relevant clinical information is available?

My commonest comment is along the lines of "ring me"

dj

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mohammad Al-Jubouri
Sent: 22 November 2012 15:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Infertility hormonal assessment

Many thanks for the many replies I have received so far, most of you correctly identified the possibilty of pregnancy and asked for Beta-hCG result which was 270 IU/L confirming very early pregnancy.

One colleague said he would put a comment "congratulations she is pregnant now"; though I wouldn't say congratulations yet as this is very early pregnancy and may be even occult ending by the next period.

Incidentally this pm, there was another hormonal profile on a very young lady with irregular periods from a GP via order comm, this showed:

FSH                            <0.1
LH                               <0.1
Oestradiol                   >11010
Progesterone            183
Prolactin                    3266
Testosterone              2.3
Beta-hCG                awaiting

Even if I am confident that she is well into her pregnancy, I wouldn't say congratulations as it could be an unwanted pregnancy.

So is this sort of request excessive? it all depends on the clinical situation they are investigating, for example in the first instance if they were only assessing luteal function/ovulation then requesting day 21 progesterone is sufficient. While in the second case they are investigating possible PCO, so the request is justified.

Regards

Mohammad