Dear Peter,

We carried out an audit several years ago at Wishaw General Hospital looking at cases where there was significant oxyhaemoglobin present, but the bilirubin was below the 0.007 cut-off.  See attached poster.

Best wishes,

Sarah

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sharpe, Peter [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 November 2012 12:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Xanthochromia

Dear Colleague,

To further expand the discussion regarding CSF spectrophotometry the standard comment that causes us some difficulty and occurs quite often is:

"Oxyhaemoglobin is present is sufficient concentration to impair the ability to detect bilirubin. SAH not excluded"

Whilst I fully appreciate the science and evidence-base behind this comment, it is difficult to communicate the actual risk of missing a SAH to the clinician. I usually state that the result is negative but there is a small chance of a SAH being missed because of the presence of a sufficient amount of oxyHb to theoretically disguise/mask bilirubin. But what is this risk? It simply leads to more ambiguity and loss of confidence in the reliability/robustness of this test.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Best wishes
Peter

Dr Peter Sharpe
Consultant Chemical Pathologist