From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jonathan Kay
Sent: 14 November 2012 15:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Xanthochromia

I hear that argument a lot. I disagree about the impossibility of sending a patient home before the result of the test is available. If we restricted that process to very low risk patients, documented the discharge policy and could be reasonably sure that someone could seek medical attention if the patient deteriorated between discharge and the result being available the next morning I don't think that we would be anywhere near negligence.

Is anyone working that way already?

Jonathan

On 14 Nov 2012, at 09:59, Paul Masters wrote:

> Xanthochromia is rarely requested because there is a genuine expectation of an SAH. By far the commonest scenario is the MAU wants to discharge a patient who had a negative CT and is clinically well enough to go home. The medical team will not discharge until they have done an LP and excluded xanthochromia. Since patients are now discharged 24/7 we are expected to proved a lab service to support that. Occasionally we do get an unexpected high NBA, which just re-inforces the clinicans' insistence on doing an LP before discharge. Medico-legally they would be in a difficult position if they discharged without LP and the patient had a second bleed. It's become the standard of care.
> Is that a misuse of the test?
>
> Paul Masters

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

Thank you for your co-operation.

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk