From: Mike Bosomworth <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:05 AM
Subject: Disposal of samples containing cytotoxic drugs

Dear All,

I sometimes think that life is too short!!

We are again being told that we must segregate samples containing cytotoxic drugs from samples that are considered infectious. We consider that all of our samples are potentially an infection risk and because we are a major cancer centre have repeatedly said that we cannot identify all of the samples from patients on chemotherapy, it is the users that must do that and the chances of them identifying every patient are extremely slim. As both infectious and cytotoxic drug containing samples are incinerated I struggle to understand why we are being told that we must do this. Currently we treat all samples as potentially being an infection risk and as containing cytotoxic drugs. So my question to the mailbase, is what do you do?

Best wishes

Mike

Dr. Mike Bosomworth
Consultant Clinical Biochemist
Head of Clinical Biochemistry and Immunology

Tel. 0113 3922340      Fax 0113 3925174
 Mobile 07789 174344

Please visit our web-site at http://www.leedsteachinghospitals.com/     ------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk/ Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk/ List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk