Hi Alison,

Putting the patients on lactose-free diet isn't going to answer the
question, especially when they have something else wrong with them!

I recomend switching to breath testing, measuring hydrogen and methane
after an oral lactose dose (or whatever carbohydrate you are
investigating)  The problem of course is that you've got to find
somene/somewhere to collect the breath samples.

We used a dedicated GC system supplied by Quintron (USA) which uses
room air as a carrier gas and has a solid state detector. Cheap and
simple to use and has run without any problems for 5 years.
Gastrochek, which is a UK company, also makes a system, but when I
looked at it the Quintron was the preferred option.

Hydrogen and methane in breath is quite stable when collected into
proper vessels. Most of the samples we use are just collected into
syringes but we also do these tests postally, with the breath sent
through the post in siliconised, re-usable bags.

It's certainly a lot better than faecal sugar chromatography (which I
last did in 1983!)

Nick Miller
London

List Archives