Don't you also have, or didn't you used to have, an independent Communist senator? I'm pretty sure I remember that. This is a side of the US - an aetheist in Congress and a Communist too - we don't get to see enough of.
From: Joseph White <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Anglo-American Health Policy Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 11:19:33 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
ReplyTo: Joseph White <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Pete Stark

yeah, one of the leaders of more traditional Medicare thinking (for "more traditional" read "sensible").  80 years old, California had a strange redistricting that put him in a district where a younger Dem challenged him.  Doesn't much matter with GOP controlling the Ways and Means committee anyway.  A colleague says Stark was the only avowed atheist in Congress.  And didn't avow it until he'd been in a couple of decades.  Atheists are a core Democratic constituency - or at least the unchurched are - but Dems don't dare say that.