Hi
variation in the number of vertebrae, most commonly lower thoracic or lumbar occurs in all mammals. There is evidence of a genetic predilection which may translate to breeds (i.e. Arab horses are generally considered to have one less vert - but I haven't seen the evidence for this).

Pamela J Cross
PhD researcher, Bioarchaeology
Horses of Men & Gods project (AHRC, NT & MoL)
Archaeological Sciences, University of Bradford, BD7 1DP UK
p.j.cross (at) student.bradford.ac.uk / pajx (at) aol.com
http://www.barc.brad.ac.uk/resstud_Cross.php
http://bradford.academia.edu/PamCross

Below are some ref's which may be of interest:

DAVIS, S. J. M.; 2000; The Effect of Castration and Age on the Development of the Shetland Sheep Skeleton and a Metric Comparison Between Bones of Males, Females and Castrates; Journal of Archaeological Science; 27(5):  373-390.
DYCE, K., SACK, W. & WENSING, C. 2009. - Textbook of Veterinary Anatomy. Saunders/Elsevier,  St. Louis.
GREENFIELD, H. J. & ARNOLD, E. R.; 2008; Absolute age and tooth eruption and wear sequences in sheep and goat: determining age-at-death in zooarchaeology using a modern control sample; Journal of Archaeological Science; 35(4):  836-849.
NODDLE, B.; 1974; Ages of epiphyseal closure in feral and domestic goats and ages of dental eruption; Journal of Archaeological Science; 1(2):  195-204.
POPKIN, P. R. W., BAKER, P., WORLEY, F., PAYNE, S. & HAMMON, A.; 2012; The Sheep Project (1): determining skeletal growth, timing of epiphyseal fusion and morphometric variation in unimproved Shetland sheep of known age, sex, castration status and nutrition; Journal of Archaeological Science; 39(6):  1775-1792.
PRUMMEL, W. & FRISCH, H.-J.; 1986; A guide to the distinction of species, sex and body side in bones of sheep and goats; Journal of Archaeological Science; 13:  567–578.
ZEDER, M. A. 2006. - 6. Reconciling Rates of Long Bone Fusion and Tooth Eruption and Wear in Sheep (Ovis) and Goat (Capra), in D. Ruscillo (ed) Recent advances in ageing and sexing animal bones. Proceedings of the 9th Conference of the International Council of Archaeozoology. Oxbow, Oxford:  87-118.