From: Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, 7 October 2012, 2:19
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] pathological cattle tooth -- molars are not replaced

Deb,

No - nobody has been attacked. This is an interesting discussion to have emerged from a deformed cow's tooth!

The word 'deciduous', when applied to human molars, has a long history of use in anatomy and anthropology.

Its use goes back certainly to Andrew Fyfe, who in his 'A Compendium of the Anatomy of the Human Body' wrote in 1800 "Five deciduous teeth . . . in each side of each jaw." (p.30). Obviously he is including m1 and m2 in this itemisation.

Thomas Henry Huxley, in his 1870 'Lessons in Elementary Physiology' wrote more specifically: "The cutting of this first set of teeth, called *deciduous*, or *milk teeth*, commences at about six months, and ends with the second year. They are altogether twenty in number - eight being cutting teeth, or *incisors*; four, eye teeth, or *canines*; and eight, grinders, or *molars*."

Presumably these authors are using the term 'deciduous' by analogy with leaves shed from trees. Anyway, that's how I have always thought of the word.

'Deciduous molars' is a term that continues to the present day among anthropologists and anatomists - as Hillson points out - even though we recognise the likely evolutionary origin of m1 and m2 teeth as premolars.

You say that a human m2 can in no sense be deciduous, and that there is no such thing as a deciduous molar because it is impossible by definition.

OK. So I guess that somebody must have appropriated the general term 'deciduous', and reapplied it to a narrower definition.

Do you know where this narrower definition of 'deciduous' was originally published?

Richard